Thursday, November 4, 2021

Finding Continuity In your Golf Game.


OK, I will be glad to admit this might be my version of a golf Hot Take. But, over the past few months I have seen some real success in looking at full swing tendencies to help putting strokes. So today I put this idea out there for discussion. I admit this is not an original idea. Over the years I have heard several instructors talk about “releasing the club” with a similar feel through the bag. Sean Foley with Tiger Woods is the one that comes to mind first. 



The key component is a match of the trail hand grip. With the help of the ULTIMATE GOLF LESSON screens, I have a new clarity on how a player should grip the putter. Without going into 20 pages of detail, what I am saying is if you play weak in your full swing you should play weak with the putter. Or strong, or neutral or anywhere in between, as long as they match. 

 


As the trail arm extends it seeks a certain orientation, so if the trail hand is out of position, as the forearm rotates the face rotates with it. Shut becomes open, Open becomes shutIn practice, we have asked all players who use what I would call an alternative grip to check using the screen. We rarely see a match. In a sense it is like the hand has a mind of its own. If you argue with it, it fights back. 



Understanding this concept, I now have a more specific answer to the fitting question, “what is the best grip?” The problem is that putter grips are not always designed to match your hands or the orientation of your hands. Also certain grips tend to benefit certain putter designs. The best example is the PingMan grip with a Anser or Newport style putter. Mr. Solheim designed all components of the original Anser to work in harmony. 

 

To anyone who wishes to dig deeper in this and other topics pertaining to putting, I encourage you to participate in my online course this winter, please contact me to sign up. 

1 comment:

PJB said...

Hi Bruce.
Being a "technical" guy (research chemist retired) I really appreciate your content and the care that you take in expressing it. A 6 hcp, my problem was always putting, especially missing within 8 ft. (about 1 in 10, 2 on a good day, 3 on my best).

I used to putt, as you suggest, with my club grip but for the last 3 years I switched over to the SPS a la Moe Norman, taught by Todd Graves. I have kept my hcp but lost all of the back pain I used to endure. :) 2 years ago, after hearing a Dave Pelz statement that face angle was 90% of the putt (for accuracy), I determined to find a way to limit face angle deviation.

I now putt, RHL still, but with both hand "over-rotated" into super-weak positions such that I can see the back of both hands during the stroke. Each hand want to rotate the club face in the other direction so they just cancel out and leave a rock-solid club face (angle) square to the path at impact. It works, I now putt on my line and I am now more 3 of 8 with a good day being 5. At 68, no more back pain and putting success is a god-send. Now if only the season here was more than 5 months... :(

Thanks for caring and sharing.

Peter